Here are a few tips I have learned over the years that help me enjoy without over-indulging.
- Have some protein before going to a party. That reduces the appetite and makes it easier to make better decisions at the party. I use either a protein bar or shake with some vitamin/mineral supplements.
- Begin with the healthy snacks, chew them slowly and thoroughly and leave the most fattening to the last. Have one of each offering.
- Drink a glass of water before having an alcoholic beverage. Many times we drink more then planned because we are thirsty. Cutting down on alcohol save a myriad of calories.
- Get plenty of rest. This allows our body to cleans properly the effect of which makes us less hungry.
- Keep up moderate exercise to help the body cleanse, sleep deeper and stay healthy.
- Take vitamin/mineral supplements to make sure you get the nutrients you need during the stress of the holidays. Doing this will help keep you healthy.
- Keep in mind the holidays are about family, friends and fellowship. Make that the center of your focus, not food. Keeping in conversation with loved ones away from the food table always helps.
Stay healthy and safe and may the holidays bring you joy and peace.
Liz Harrison, NES